Mommy’s Corner is a weekly series exploring our journey in becoming parents, our love for our ShuGar baby, and general topics related to mommyhood.
Have I told you how much I adore you? You and your daddy are my greatest gifts. I write you this letter so you can cherish a special time you and I had together from the moment you were born. For the past two and a half months, I have been home with you every second of every day. I have been blessed to care for you from the moment your eyes open to the second they are shut. But, now, this time will soon come to an end. Because of that, I want you to know how much I have cherished our time together.
I will not be here all day any more because your mommy has to go to work. I work because I must provide food for you to eat, a place for you to sleep, clothes for you to wear, and toys for you to play with. I also want you to know that I work because I love my job and it is important for your mommy to do something that makes her happy. I have worked very hard to build my career and find this job and that is why I want to work.
However, this does not meant that I will not miss you. I will miss you so much that my heart will hurt. My hurt is breaking just writing you this letter. Even though I will not physically be with you during the day, I will forever be in your heart and I will check on you constantly to make sure you are ok. Your beautiful Abuelita and your daddy will take good care of you when I am gone. As soon as work finishes, I will rush home to give you the biggest hug and kisses in the world. I will feed you, bathe you, and put you to bed every night.
Before I go back to work, I want you to realize how much I have adored being by your side as I’ve seen you grow these past few months. It has been an honor to change your diapers, breastfeed you, cuddle you, swaddle you, and do tummy time with you.
I will forever cherish these memories:
- Singing songs to you after I change your diaper. I love to see you give me big smiles every time I sing to you.
- Going to our mommy and me classes. You and I make a great team in class and I enjoyed learning new things about being a mommy with you by my side.
- Having you sleep on my tummy. It’s one of my most favorite things to have you sleep on me like the picture above. Both of us daydream together and feel the warmth of our bodies lull us to sleep. There is nowhere I would rather be than holding you.
- Breastfeeding you to give you your food to make you nice and strong. It wasn’t easy at first, but I am so glad I continued doing it so that you could have the best food. Because I have fed you, I have loved those special moments with you in my arms. We lock eyes and only the two of us exist.
- Talking to you and having you “talk” back. Every morning I tell you “Good morning”and you reply “goo goo.” When I tell you “I love you” you tell me “Ooo oo.” It melts my heart every time.
I tell you these things so that one day when you have a baby and you have to go to work, you remember your mommy stayed home with you to care for you because she wanted to. Even though I will return to work, the love I have for you only continues to grow stronger because love knows no distance. It grows with time and develops with our special moments we will forever have together.
Remember, even though things may change around the house, I will always be your mommy and will be here for you no matter what. From this point forward, we will have a new “our” time and it will be ours forever.
Mamas: Did you have to go back to work or are you a stay at home mom? If you went back to work, how did you feel when you did? If you stay at home, what do you enjoy and maybe dislike about it? No matter what, we are all making sacrifices fro our baby.
If you are not a mama, did your mom stay at home with you or go back to work? What are your memories of that experience?
Photo credit: Peter Shushtari